Thursday, July 25, 2013

Goodbyes

What an incredible experience through the Teachers for Global Classrooms! It's hard to believe that my trip is coming to an end and I am getting ready to leave.

We had a great last meal at the home of my host - Mrs. Monita Dash.  She served an amazing, mouth-watering meal of chicken, paneer, chapatis (breads), prawns, noodles, creamy desserts, and ice cream.  We also had samosas as an appetizer - one of my favorites!  I ate the meal with my hands, as is the Indian way to eat food.   It was so enjoyable to be invited to her home and have dinner with her, her husband, and her son.  I could not have asked for a better host during this international field experience!

Maureen, Monita (host), and Jennice


Our host (a.k.a. lady liberty) opens her departing gifts.


Overall, this was an amazing experience.  While there were so many incredible things to see and do in this country, I had my moments of ups and downs (which I was told might happen).  There were miscommunications, tests of patience, and things did not always go according to plan.  At the end, I did long for some of the comforts of home but I also felt like I would be missing Indian culture when I got back to New York.  At the same time, I had great experiences.  I never thought anyone would want my autograph or want to take a picture with me.  Some people had never seen an American before, and it felt strange to be the center of attention.  I loved seeing students' faces when they heard I was going to play a learning game with them in their classroom.  Many students gifted me small hand-crafted items.  There are too many wonderful moments to list here.

It's hard to generalize about the Indian education system.  I saw different types of schools (public and private) and then spent 10 days getting to know one school very well.  In the end, there is so much diversity and a range of outcomes depending on the school itself. I enjoyed learning from teachers and interacting with students while visiting Delhi Public School.  The students set high goals for themselves and work very hard.  They aim to please their teachers and make good choices in life.  I will miss my visits to DPS!    There is really no place like India!

 

1 comment:

  1. Your host looks like so much fun! I'm glad she likes her presents. They kept you so busy - I'm sure the time flew by! It's been enjoyable reading about your experiences. Thanks for sharing them! I can't wait to hear about it in more details when you are home.- Crystal

    ReplyDelete